Christmas Gift Ideas
It’s that time of year. Christmas decorations fill the aisles of our favorite stores, holiday music is on the radio and we can order a peppermint mocha coffee. Whether you have children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, or work with children, this time of year can be difficult. The commercials on television or conversations with friends can make them want a certain toy or item and instead of focusing on the meaning of Christmas, their focus becomes getting that toy or item. While it is fun to give and receive presents at Christmas, it can be a difficult balance not making the holiday’s focus be about the presents. Thankfully, there are quite a few gift options that your friends and family will love and keep the focus on the true meaning of Christmas.
Here are some great options
For the entire family
- ONE NIGHTAdvent Calendar. ONE NIGHT tells a story in 24 parts. Each part of the story is hidden behind a numbered door (1 through 24) that you open to reveal an illustration and text. You can open one door each day, from December 1 through December 24, counting down to Christmas. Or you can binge-watch, by reading all 24 parts in one sitting, like an illustrated book.
- Skinny Suppersby Brooke Griffin is filled with great recipes from snacks to family dinners. Brooke was a former NFL cheerleader and fitness competitor who started her website after she lost everything including her marriage and home.
- Like a Country SongEveryone will enjoy the heart-warming tale of Jake Reeson, an up-and-coming country singer who has the whole world in his hands until his ego gets in the way. With nothing but partying and music on his mind, Jake is forced to take a hard look at himself and the ashes around him after life slowly falls apart.
- Family Devotional’sDavid C Cook has a series of family devotionals, Knowing God the Father, Knowing the Holy Spirit, and Knowing Jesus. Each book has 52 devotionals. These devotions feature simplified doctrine with easy-to-understand language so children will be engaged and able to follow along. The theological depth of these devotions will strengthen parents’ faith as well, providing a growing experience for children and parents together. Each devotion features a section specifically for growing children’s faith, including a topic or question to start a conversation about spiritual matters, and a simple closing prayer. With illustrations highlighting key concepts, parents and children together will treasure time spent with these devotions as they grow closer to God and one another.
For younger children
- Slumberkinsare soft cuddly creatures that are coupled with a book to help support the development of social-emotional intentions. From self-esteem to family change, the books are a platform for children to be able to talk about topics that can sometimes be difficult to process. Co-founder Callie Christensen found herself struggling with how to cope when her own mom was diagnosed with cancer.
- One Christmas Bear.The book is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. The holiday-shaped board book enables little ones to count the joys of Christmas with Christmas Bear and his arctic friends. Little ones will love to count seasonal elements, such as crunchy candy canes, colorful ornaments, and frosty snowflakes, and parents will appreciate the emphasis on family, friends, and the sweet depiction of the reason for the season—Jesus’ birth!
- God Bless You and Good Night sparked a series that is as beloved as it is adorable. The original board book has impacted more than 315,000 families. This touch-and-feel book is perfect for home and as a beautiful gift option for baby showers and birthdays or as an announcement gift for soon-to-be grandparents. From the polar bear’s soft fur to the elephant’s leathery skin to the silky grass of the African grasslands, God Bless You and Good Night Touch and Feel offers a new way to interact with this classic story of animals preparing for bed
For older children
- Adventures in Odyssey’s Young WhitThe series introduces newcomers to the larger world of Odyssey. For readers who are already Odyssey-philes, the novels provide the history of the franchise’s most important character. Whit and his family have just moved to Provenance, NC, in the middle of the Great Depression. Johnny’s father has taken a position as a professor at nearby Duke University. Now Johnny must not only deal with a new school, new friends, and a new bully, but a decades-old scandal that has tarnished the Whittaker family’s reputation, and an amazing mystery involving the contents of a musty old trunk
- 365 Bible Answers for Curious Kidssets out to help children explore the answers to these tough questions. As parents, or those mentoring youth, it is great to have resources like this to help answer those tough questions. 365 Bible Answers for Curious Kidsis a daily devotional and questions about God, the Bible, and faith are answered in a loving way that points children to God’s plan and His love.
- God’s Good Newsby Billy Graham is a collection of more than 60 favorite Bible stories told in actual Bible text from the New King James Version, including Noah, Joseph, Moses, David, Jesus, and the disciples, and each story is equipped with a takeaway devotion from Rev. Graham. The takeaways will help children focus on God’s Word, apply it to their lives, and begin walking with God and sharing the good news from an early age. The artwork from Scott Wakefield will help children connect with the timeless Bible stories and messages from Rev. Graham.
For our reviews of each of the above, click the link. We were given each of these items for our review. All of our thoughts and opinions are our own.
LaDainian Tomlinson is no stranger to running. He spent eleven seasons as a running back in the NFL. He was…
November is National Adoption Awareness Month. It was started in 1976 by Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis announced an Adoption Week…
From Lone Survivor to 13 Hours, over the past decade more and more movies are being made about the Navy…
MORE INK WELL ARTICLES YOU MAY LIKE
Jacques Cesaire was a defensive lineman with the San Diego Chargers for nine seasons. During his time, he was not…
Our headlines are filled with persecution of Christians. From ISIS to bombings of churches, it is hard not to feel…
John and Molly Chester, a husband and wife team, left their job titles of ‘documentary filmmaker’ and ‘private chef’ to…
Best known for his roles as Gimli the dwarf in The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Sallah in the…